Port Arthur (April 20, 2020) – TPC Group, in consultation with local, state and agency partners, continues to progress on event response and recovery activities at TPC Group Port Neches Operations.
Plant Alarm System Update: Following the use of a temporary alarm system since the event on November 27, 2019, TPC Group has reestablished service of the plant’s permanent alarm system. This week’s initial test of the alarm system and regular weekly tests will resume every Wednesday at noon, beginning April 22, 2020. Neighbors near Port Neches Operations may hear elevated noise levels in the area during these brief weekly tests. We appreciate your patience as we test this essential safety device each week.
Situation Update: Response efforts continue to focus on activities to further secure the site and minimize impact to environment, while preserving the safety of operations personnel and the community, and bringing response efforts safely to an end.
TPC Group’s Technical Team, along with site personnel and contractors, continue the site de-inventory process. To date, all finished butadiene has been removed and approximately 75 percent of all other butadiene-containing materials have been transferred offsite. Teams will continue transferring process materials such as crude C4, raffinate, and others until all targeted materials have been removed. The anticipated completion for the de-inventory process is mid-summer. TPC Group air monitoring coverage, conducted by contracted environmental response specialists, continues to include 4 stationary monitors at the fence line, 14 stationary monitors inside the fence line and 21 roaming air monitors inside the fence line. Based on the continued ‘non-detect’ readings in the community and the continued monitoring at the fence line, the radius of community monitoring is focused on the site perimeter. Monitoring teams will remain ready to respond in the community should there be a need.
Neighboring industrial plants are operational and TPC Port Neches Operations continues to make progress toward the goal of restoring terminal operations capabilities requiring dock, tank farm and pipeline operations, in the first half of the year to expand our ability to serve industry customers throughout facility recovery and restoration.
COVID-19 Update: In response to COVID-19, TPC Group has taken preventative steps to help minimize the impact on community spread, while maintaining safe and environmentally-sound operations. The Company continues to adhere to the guidance and expertise of the U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) in the protection of the health and safety of our employees, contractors, and the communities and those with whom we do business. Specifically, we continue to:
- Actively monitor the progression of the outbreak, its spread across the region where the Company does business and the responses from government agencies to the outbreak, including CDC, WHO and local/state health officials
- Implement a phased approach to response efforts aligned with ongoing development of this outbreak and for rapid engagement, as needed
- Implement communications and awareness initiatives to keep employees apprised daily of the current situation and maintain self-care
- Enact social distancing requirements at plant sites
- Suspend unauthorized visitors and non-essential deliveries to the plants
- Mandated temperature scans for all on-site personnel, including contractors and authorized visitors
- Confine access to certain locations at the plant site(s) to reduce congregating of people
- Restrict access to common areas for essential personnel only
Information Resources: TPC Group will continue to manage inquiries related to recovery activities at Port Neches Operations via the official response website at www.portnechesresponse.com, as well as through established social media channels on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PortNechesUC and Twitter (@PortNechesUC).
Residents are also encouraged to register for updates from the Southeast Texas Alerting Network (STAN). Call 1-877-843-7826 (toll-free) anytime to hear important alerts and notifications or visit www.thestan.com to register for notifications.